The Dark Web sounds fascinating

Before we begin we need to understand 2 concepts.

What is the deep web?

Deep Web is something big that you can’t imagine, which is hidden in the dark side of the internet whose contents are not indexed by any standard search engines like Google or Yahoo or Bing.

deepweb-sites.com

What is the dark web?

The dark web is a subset of “The Deep Web”. The Dark Web search engines are not visible to the public and are not crawled/indexed by any search engine spiders like Google.
The dark web is a smaller part of the deep web that can’t be accessed without a special software like Tor.

Dark web Sites

So easy enough, we have what is publicly visible (what you can Google). Under it the sites you can not find unless you know the address (the deep web) and inside the deep web, what you can only access with special anonymizing software (the dark web).

It’s baffling how with apparently already so much information on the surface, it is estimated that you can only access about 4%, the rest is hidden. Of that 96%, 6% of which is the dark web, for dark deeds.

👨🏻‍💻 Why I find it fascinating?

I have no interest in accessing the dark web but the concept of it, the existance of it and what it entails is fascinating to me. For a while now, you no longer need to go to a dodgy part of town to procure drugs, you can buy them online (if you know where to go).

It’s not only buying and selling drugs but other illegal material, guns, hacking as a service, assassins for hire or child pornography, to name the big ones. Imagine if you could go to Amazon and also browse the shiniest guns or illegal drugs.

I have recently been listening to podcasts about it, to learn more about stories around the dark web. Stories on how FBI, and other law enforcement entities, have infiltrated the dark web forums to arrest the administrators and/or clients. As well as stories from legal hackers, people working in Information security, who work to test systems to harden its procedures against malicious attacks.

If you’re interested:

Did you know about the dark web?

Ricard Torres

What do you think?

About Ricard

Senior Front-end Software Engineer from Barcelona, Haidong Gumdo Instructor (korean martial art of the sword), street photographer, travel lover, TV addict, Boston Red Sox fan, and privacy advocate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *